Celebrating 200 years of Jane Austen's legacy
Catherine Morland loves a good novel and the more horrid it is thebetter. At 17, she is taken by her aunt to Bath where she encounters the social whirl denied her at home. When Catherine accepts an invitation to the Tilney’s country seat at Northanger Abbey, lurid images from her favourite gothic novel Mysteries of Udolphothreaten to overwhelm her. However, all misunderstandings areeventually resolved and, as in all the best Jane Austen novels, theyoung heroine finally gets her man…
Adapted by acclaimed Austen specialist Tim Luscombe, this production portrays Jane Austen at her most heartfelt, and follows Luscombe’s previously aclaimed production of Mansfield Park.
About the demonstration Page-to-Stage!
Facilitated with the cast of Northanger Abbey, this fun and interactive demonstration, of up to 60 minutes, will provide audiences with an insight into how a classic novel from an illustrious writer can be brought to life on stage. This workshop will take place in the auditorium at 6pm on Thursday 23rd March. It is free for ticket holders of the Northanger Abbey performances. To book, please select the Page to Stage demonstration at the checkout. Please note there is limited availability.
This hour long event will explore:
- How sound, lighting, music and choreography builds tension and intrigue to a piece of theatre
- How careful adaptation can enhance our understanding of narrative and character
- How to approach characterisation through theatre direction, staging, costume and set
- The social and historical context of Northanger Abbey
- Gender roles, relations and expectations within the 19th century
This session will be either facilitated by Georgina Stone, Education Projects Officer, or Karen Simpson, Director of Northanger Abbey and Theatre Royal Bury St Edmunds.
If you are interested in finding out more information regarding Northanger Abbey and the workshop/demonstration, please contact us on 01753 853888.
Please find here the education resource pack.
- Show Times
Mon - Sat 8pm
Thu 2.30pm, Sat 4.45pm
- Ticket prices
£15 - £31
Royal Specials: £37 - £39
Running Time: 2 hours and 45 minutes (including interval)
Free Workshop 'Page-to-Stage' for ticket holders on Thursday 23 March at 6pm, Please select this option at the checkout.
2 for 1 on 20 Mar
Be the first to review this show!
WHAT'S ON IN:
- February 2017
- March 2017
- April 2017
- 08THE QUO EXPERIENCE
- 09I REMEMBER YOU! AN INTIMATE AUDIENCE WITH THE LEGENDARY FRANK IFIELD & FRIENDS
- 10-13NOEL AND GERTIE
- 14MARTY WILDE
- 15THE RAT PACK IS BACK
- 16CHRIS DEAN'S SYD LAWRENCE ORCHESTRA
- 17-20STRICTLY MURDER
- 22HELLO AGAIN, NEIL DIAMOND
- 23SOMEONE LIKE YOU, THE ADELE SONG BOOK
- 24-27THE SOUND OF MURDER
- 28PRINCE REVELATION
- 30-03MISS MEENA & THE MASALA QUEENS
- June 2017
- July 2017
- August 2017
- 29-07SLEEPING BEAUTY